Sunday, June 20, 2010

Spotlight's on the Chef

So here I am wondering should I go or just stay home and relax. It’s been a while since I had some free time to myself but my friend is in my rear end trying to convince me to go to this pool party “thing” with her. Through her boundless persistence I caved.
Whilst getting dressed she kept insisting on how much fun I was going to have, but I could not help myself from thinking, “really I’ve been to pool parties before, how much more fun could this one be to the others?” Well, fun definitely was not the word I would use to describe this pool party “thing”, it was more astounding, if anything at all.
On our arrival at the venue I am surprised to see a beautiful town house. My captivation with its sprawling compound was short lived however, as I am interrupted by my friend’s introduction of the host of this “thing”, a French gentleman who greeted me, much to my astonishment, with a kiss on each side of my face. “Seriously they do that in Trinidad” was all I could think of in my head. My attention then drifted to the fragrant aroma coming from inside the house; the smell of sautéed onions and garlic in real butter and the sharp aroma of a dry wine in the air. Immediately I felt delighted knowing all too well how food gets me excited. Suddenly I began thinking that this was not going to be so bad after all.
When we get to the kitchen the host and his friend are over the stove turning pots in a frenzied manner, with all sorts of attention-grabbing ingredients scattered around the kitchen counters. I thought to myself “men cooking and it looks like the good stuff how sexy”. After nearly two minutes of me watching on inquisitively my friend whisked me away to the pool as she became concerned that our host and his associate did not want us to see their culinary secrets, which to be honest had me baffled because I questioned why would they really be thinking in such a way.
After two hours of this “thing” the host and his friend could be seen walking towards the pool area, their hands overflowing with various containers filled with the different dishes they had prepared. After they had laid out the food on a table they had specially set up for the night’s activities, the host turned to face his invited guests and began making an announcement. He informed the crowd that he would be opening a restaurant and tonight’s event was actually a tasting of the dishes to be offered. To my dismay, he then drew the attention of the crowd in my direction, informing them that I was a CHEF and stating that he would be looking forward to my professional opinion. Being put on the spot, I began to worry if I would make the right comments and of the consequences if I did not?
The tasting started and there was such a diversity of flavours, from the spiciness of curry to the smooth, rich taste of butter. The sauces made me feel as if I were in a culinary exposition with the best of ingredients like vintage red wines and silky heavy cream. With little to criticize I made my comments and gave my opinions. The guests were all pleased at my understanding of the cuisine, which made me feel really significant. I then thanked the host for being a part of this pleasantly surprising pool party “thing”, although I had been put in the spotlight, and he insisted to my friend that I be invited to any party “thing” they’re having in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment